Upcycle Birmingham CIC.
£10 an hour – Part-time, Permanent.
Upcycle Birmingham is a wholly owned trading subsidiary of the Spitfire Advice & Support Services Ltd group based in Castle Vale at St Gerard’s Church Centre, Yatesbury Avenue. Upcycle Birmingham also operates from a shop on the High Street on the estate.
Upcycle Birmingham provides support to the most vulnerable and economically disadvantaged by offering affordable, quality recycled and upcycled furniture. In addition, it aims to recruit and develop volunteers and work opportunities for those most distanced from the labour market.
Spitfire Services is a dynamic resident lead charitable organisation situated within the community of Castle Vale. Spitfire Services exists to provide help, information and support for residents of the most excluded communities in Birmingham.
Upcycle Birmingham now has an amazing opportunity to develop a community café within the Church Centre which we intend to call The Meeting Place. We are looking to recruit a Café Coordinator to manage the space and to recruit, train and manage a team of volunteers to run the café. We hope to be open for the public in June/July 21 and we will focus on being open for the community in the mornings until lunchtime. The afternoons will be rented out to local groups.
We are looking for someone with previous experience of running a café/small restaurant who must hold a Level 3 NVQ in Food Safety and Hygiene and have skills needed to be compliant in the health and safety requirements – as well as the ability to manage a small team to help deliver an exciting, new community facility.
Applicants need to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to our charity and our community, have a background in catering and show commitment to making this new social enterprise a success. The successful candidate will also be capable of maintaining financial records, processing payments, cash handling, helping with year-end accounts and budget setting.
Brief Description of Post Terms
Job title: Café Coordinator
Salary: £10.00 per hour
Hours: 20 hours per week delivered Monday to Friday mornings (9.00am to 1.00pm)
Annual leave: 27 days + statutory Bank Holidays
Pension: 1% Auto enrolment pension scheme Tenure: Permanent
Based at: Upcycle Birmingham CIC, St Gerard’s Church Centre, Castle Vale. B35 6JT
Responsible to & managed by: Community Services Coordinator.
To apply for this vacancy please use our application form available as follows: –
Down load application pack: – from www.spitfireservices.org.uk (Job Description, Person Specification and Application Form). We would appreciate it if all applications are returned electronically to save paper.
Pick up a Pack in Person: – from either –
Upcycle Birmingham CIC, St Gerard’s Church Centre, Yatesbury Av, Castle Vale, B35 6JT or/ Spitfire House, 10 High St, Castle Vale, Birmingham B35 7PR
Applications can be returned: –
By Post In Confidence to Spitfire Advice & Support Services Ltd, Spitfire House, 10 High Street, Castle Vale, Birmingham, B35 7PR.
See Advert in our online information pack with full details on where and how to return applications by Email
Job Description for Café Coordinator Role
Responsible to: Community Services Coordinator
Responsible for: Managing a team of staff and volunteers to deliver The Meeting Place café.
1). To ensure that The Meeting Place café is operating successfully, in a sustainable way and is compliant with regulations relating to catering establishments.
2) To display a confident, friendly and helpful attitude.
3) To manage a team of staff and volunteers ensuring that the Café is resourced appropriately.
Key accountabilities/job purpose:
1. To ensure that The Meeting Place Café is compliant with all Health and safety and other requirements needed in a community café and to maintain necessary records to prove compliance.
2. To identify what stock is required, recommend appropriate suppliers, work with the team to ensure effective ordering and storage of stock.
3. To recruit, train and manage trainees and volunteers to help deliver a fantastic service to customers of The Meeting Place Café.
4. To identify suitable menu options which would be popular among our customers, which would incorporate affordable and healthy food and drinks.
5. To ensure that the café offers a welcoming atmosphere in keeping with Upcycle Birmingham and the ethos the social enterprise promotes.
6. To work with the whole team from Upcycle Birmingham and the community from St Gerard’s Church to ensure an effective and efficient service.
7. To undertake administration work as required to ensure the smooth running of the Café.
8. To undertake any other duties commensurate with the post as directed by the Community Services Coordinator.
1. Knowledge and experience of the Health and Safety legislature required to operate a catering venue and the ability to implement the appropriate Health & Safety procedures.
2. Experience of working in a Social Enterprise environment.
3. Experience of cash handling.
4. Experience of working to a budget.
1. Level 3 in Food Safety & Hygiene
2. Knowledge of Microsoft Office at the level required to run the Café
1. A qualification in Math’s and English
Essential Personal Attributes required:
1. Excellent people management skills
2. Ability to organise and train staff and volunteers to the appropriate standards for their role.
3. Able to lead by example and to always promote excellence in Customer Service.
1. At all times to work in such a way as to promote Equal Opportunities.
2. All duties and responsibilities must be carried out with due regard to Spitfire Services’ Health & Safety Policy. (our Parent Company)
3. Duties which include processing of any personal data must be undertaken as directed by the manager and within Spitfire Services’ data protection guidelines.
4. To undertake other necessary, reasonable duties and appropriate tasks as requested by the Community Services Coordinator
5. To work flexibly as required
Team duties and responsibilities:
1. To support the staff team and contribute to the organisation’s development, through team meetings, team activities and supporting contract delivery where appropriate
2. To support the development of new and improved working and systems as appropriate to the needs of the business
Upcycle Birmingham expects the post holder:
1. To work as part of the team to achieve our organisational goals.
2. To work towards ensuring that the Meeting Place is a sustainable social enterprise.
3. To adhere to Spitfire Services and Upcycle Birmingham’s principles and values.
4. To maintain and develop your own effectiveness within the charity, including taking responsibility for your health and general welfare and in your own professional development as it relates to the charity’s mission.
5. To be prepared to adapt to a changing environment that charities such as Spitfire Services and Upcycle Birmingham, as a developing organisation, may experience rapid change.
6. To bring to Spitfire Services and Upcycle Birmingham’s attention issues of concern that could affect its ability to achieve its objectives, including its support of you in your own role.
7. To support colleagues within the team and the organisation.
1. To keep up to date with developments with subjects relevant to Upcycle Birmingham and The Meeting Place.
2. To attend training sessions/seminars etc. as required by the Community Services Coordinator.
Any offer of employment will require, copies of any professional qualifications held showing competence for this role being received by us, satisfactory references and a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES IN EMPLOYMENT POLICY STATEMENT
Spitfire Services aims to ensure that all existing and potential employees receive equal consideration and we are committed to the elimination of unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, disability, colour, ethnic and national origin, nationality, sexuality, marital status, responsibility for dependants, religion, trade union activity and age.
This job description will be reviewed and updated at intervals when necessary in consultation with the post-holder.
Please note that Spitfire Services is a small dynamic charitable organisation and that we are continually monitoring our services and making changes in response to need. This may lead to changes to job descriptions; it is anticipated that employees will be supported in coping with changing job descriptions where appropriate through, for example, the provision of suitable training.
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Application Deadline: 10/05/2021
Expected Start Date: 05/07/2021
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £10.00 per hour
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
All customers are required to wear a mask in the showroom. Current Government and NHS rules and guidance on Cafe/restaurant workplaces will be in place.
- GCSE or equivalent (preferred)
- Do have a Level 3 NVQ in Food Hygiene and Safety? (required)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place